This is the first of a series of posts about healthy and active lifestyle choices.
Almost everywhere you look you see articles promoting easy solutions for weight loss, heart health, diabetes management, and a million other things. Their aim is to try to sell you the latest ideas or miracle products to instantly solve your problems, and it can all be quite confusing and even misleading.
The truth is that unfortunately there is no miracle fast track to weight loss and better health. Overnight or even weekly 10 pound (4.5kg) weight loss simply isn’t sustainable or SAFE, and we have all seen these claims on the front pages of magazines! It takes effort, determination, time and will power. The good news is that every little step that you take towards improving your lifestyle has an immediate and positive effect.
In this series of blogs I am going to cover some of the fundamental and essential components of a healthy lifestyle that you can sustain for your whole life. Each post will cover one bite sized chunk of information.
The list below includes just a few of the reasons why a healthy and active lifestyle is important, which you might or might not have considered. I plan to cover most of these over the series of posts.
- Bone density (reversal or prevention of Osteoporosis and Osteopenia)
- Muscle tissue loss due to aging (Sarcopenia)
- Immune system health
- Balance and fall prevention skills
- Staying independent while aging
- Cognitive Decline (skills to help keep the mind muscle active)
- Heart Disease, Hypertension, Diabetes, and the other modern lifestyle diseases prevention or reversal
- Blood glucose regulation though physical activity
- Avoiding inflammatory foods
- Mental health (emotional stress management and sleep hygiene are components of a healthy lifestyle)
A healthy lifestyle is more than diet and some occasional exercise. It’s a balanced combination of healthy nutrition, being physically active, and mentally present and aware.
Follow my blog posts as I cover the journey towards a fulfilling lifestyle.
You can also contact me if you are looking for health or fitness coaching.